"Michell's Weekly Pearl"...(Should I Tell Him How I Really Feel)

an advice column and a question about being upfront with others

As always, I thank you for joining me for another edition of  "Michell's Weekly Pearl", where I seek to use Godly wisdom to offer encouragement. If this is your first time visiting, let me tell you a little about my advice series. This is where you can ask me anything on marriage, women's issues, family matters, relationships, parenting, homemaking, or life in general. If you want an honest, biblically based, to the point answer; email me your questions via prowessandpearls@gmail.com (please put "MWP" in the subject area). I'll post your question, along with my answer, anonymously. Easy as that! I'll also delete your email once I've transferred your question. To read all the questions and answers in this series, you can do so (HERE).







 



 
Keep sending in those questions!!! In the meantime, read on to see what "Should I Tell Him How I Really Feel" asked...


My current boyfriend is so good to me. He showers me with gifts and gives me whatever I ask for. “Everyone”(this includes family and friends) thinks that I’m using him for all the “perks” that I’m getting. I don’t think this is true, but I’ll admit, they don’t hurt at all. They claim they can tell I don’t really love him. I’ll admit, I’m not “in love” with him, but I do ‘like” him if that makes sense. I mean, I don’t see myself taking this relationship any further(I’m really infatuated with the gifts). He’s really more of a “friend” than a “boyfriend”. My question is this. Do you think I should tell him how I really feel about him or should I just let the “friendship” continue like it is and let it eventually break it off?



Hi “Should I Tell Him How I Really Feel”.  Thanks for your question!  I’m going to try to answer as best as I can. You’ve heard of the saying “hell hath no fury like a woman scorned” right? I’ve got a feeling that “hell hath no fury like a man who’s been used”. To be quite frank, friends don’t use friends. You didn’t tell me how old you were or how old your "friend” was. But I can guarantee you, he’s old enough to know that when he finds out you’re not being upfront with him, he.won’t.be.happy. Unfortunately, I’m not sure what his response will be, but I do suggest you be upfront with him ASAP! Don’t let it linger any longer. You need to let him know that you have no intentions of ever having a “relationship” with him. That’s only fair to him, for there may be that “perfect person” out there for him, but of course he can’t see that because he’s blinded by the “make believe” relationship he has with you. No one wants to ever feel as if they’ve been strung along. And I’m not putting all the blame on you, because he should know better, BUT if he did those things under the auspice of being lead on by you, then I am. I’m not usually this blunt with my answers, but I cannot stress enough to women to STOP playing with people’s emotions. Why? Because you don’t know what someone’s “breaking point” is and you don’t ever want to find yourself playing with fire! You might have been able to get away with behavior like this, let's say 5-10 years ago(which by the way, DOESN'T make it right) scotch free, but nowadays people are different! Their level of tolerance is not very high! So, when you get out of this situation, I suggest you DON’T ever get back in one like it again! Some people may disagree, but as much as you may not like this…to ease the fallout, I think you should give him back some or all of his gifts. In situations like this, you don’t ever want to have any strings attached. But most importantly, when that special person finds you; you don’t ever want to be THAT person who’s being taken advantage of. It's not a good feeling at all! The Bible clearly tells us that we will reap what we sow(and I BELIEVE that), so please keep that in mind with everything you do! I also believe that if you go to God and your friend, repent and ask for forgiveness…God will grace the situation for you! Hope that helps! Praying you'll have the courage to do the right thing! Galatians 6:7, 1 John 1:9, Luke 6:31

*Okay readers...have you ever found yourself in a situation like this(on either side)?



I’ve been married for over 24 years to my husband, a pastor. I’ve worked alongside him in ministry full-time for over 17 years. During that time, we've pioneered two ministries and I've established a women’s ministry(Women of Excellence). We have three adult children and a son-in-law.  My areas of specialty are family, marriage and women’s issues. Hopefully the (Godly)wisdom I’ve learned through my years of experience will lead you to and keep you on the road to doing you well!  As my husband always says...why spend your life going down a road you don't have to travel, when someone else has already learned the lesson and can show you how to avoid that path.  



*Disclaimer*: I don't profess to be an expert, but what I have learned...I'm willing to share.  With that being said...what I write on my blog is my opinion and advice. It is not my counsel. This also applies to anyone writing on this blog. If someone uses any advice, opinion or recommendation from this blog and is upset, angered, or harmed in any way, I am not to be held responsible or be held liable in any way. What I write on this blog is not to be taken as fact or absolute. My intention is to do no harm. The content in this blog is the opinion of this blogger and is not intended to disparage or malign anyone or anything that has the ability to be offended. I am not responsible, nor will I be held liable, for anything anyone says on this blog in the blog comments.
All Rights Reserved copyright© 2012-2013 Michell Pulliam “Prowess and Pearls” by Michell Pulliam







Follow on Bloglovin



*Enter email below to receive notifications of new posts*
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

13 comments:

  1. I haven't been in a situation like that exactly, but I think your advice was spot on! When you first realize that another person feels more for you than you feel for them (and you know that's not going to change), it's always best to let the person down then so they can seek happiness. Going further with them isn't the kind thing to do. --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa! Not kind at all...if only we would learn how to put ourselves in the other person's shoes, we wouldn't do some of the things we do.:-)

      Delete
  2. Amen! Love how you addressed this question, sister. Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such amazing, accurate advice! Think of it this way, he's somebody's brother or son. My brother is single and looking for love, and I cringe to think of a girl using him and leading him on in such a way. Same thing for my son when he's older. Time to stop playing with emotions and end things. Yes, we do reap what we sow. Hope she does the right thing, but glad she's brave enough to reach out to you. :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Meredith!! I feel the same way...I would be fuming if that was done to my sons! But yes, glad she was brave enough..hope she does too! Thanks so much for chiming in my friend!!

      Delete
  4. Great advice! I was always honest with men who were courting me. I do believe it's the best way. My mom was different and liked men visiting her and gathering around her. She was beautiful. Along came my dad and he didn't stand for that. He would leave when there were other men around. He was different and stood out. They obviously ended up getting married. Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha at your dad! Good for him for sticking to his guns! Thanks so much for stopping by...have a wonderful evening!

      Delete
  5. I think it is so important to build the core pillars of what you value into your relationships...even if they are new and fresh, not destined to be anything marriage-like. If you value honesty, be honest. I cannot tell you how many men took advantage of my forgiving nature to run the gamut on my heart. I've dealt with everything from drug addictions to affairs and as a girl growing up without a father, I let a great many men walk all over me before I decided enough was enough.

    I think your advice was right on the money.

    Stopping over from SITS! Happy #SITSSharefest! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Jennifer! So glad you freed yourself from all of that, so that your knight-in-shining armor could find you! :-) Thanks so much for stopping by...have a blessed evening!

      Delete
  6. You give her some great advice. Karma is a....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Talitha! Thanks so much and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I was in exactly that same situation when I was about 15 and now that I'm more mature, I cringe to think of that poor guy and how my behavior must have seemed to him. On the other hand, I genuinely liked him - maybe not as much as he liked me, but he was a sweet harmless guy and I did enjoy spending time with him. I think maybe she should be more honest with him - explain her feelings, and stop accepting gifts from him, but if she likes him and still wants to spend time with him just as friends - why not?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by...I really appreciate it! Please check back for a response to your comment, as I post all responses to comments here on the blog, not via email. Please note, as this is a Christian blog...any comment that contains offensive and/or inappropriate language will be sent to the authorities...NAH, but seriously though, they WILL BE deleted. :-) Have a great day...I call you blessed! ;-)